Like an old warrior, it holds its ground.
It stands in defiance of changing times. . .
changing priorities, changing insurance regulations,
and a changing of the environment around it.
Wounded, perhaps. Down, but far from being out.

The Fun House at Whalom Park in Lunenburg, Massachusetts is a symbol of what was - and what could still be. It's had more past lives than some celebrities claim to have had. Whalom Park closed after the 2000 season.
Most of its rides have been sold off. The park grounds are deteriorating. Yet the Fun House is still there, with reminders of its prime years tucked away. It is believed to have been built in 1945, the year after a fire destroyed a small portion of the midway.
Right: Whalom Park Funhouse 1975
Below: In the mid-80s
  Its appearance and layout resembles the work of Philadelphia Toboggan Company (PTC) and some floor tricks may have been manufactured
  by National Amusement Devices (NAD), yet no blueprints survive in the park files.

PTC was very active in New England, having built fun houses at Massachusetts's Lincoln Park and New Hampshire's Canobie Lake Park.



Upon entering the Whalom Fun House, patrons' legs were put to the test. They'd climb a steep staircase up to the top floor, take a sharp right and find themselves trying to keep their balance on two alternately moving planks. At the same time, patrons would provide entertainment for the midway crowd, who could view the balancing act through a cutout window. The moving planks are still in place although have not been operational since 1978. The window cutout has since been boarded over.