In 1934, Herbert F. O'Malley, director of Playland, was in correspondence with Harry G. Traver, who at that time was operating rides on the midway of the Chicago Century Of Progress exposition. The discussion involved the terms of a proposal to relocate the Laff In The Dark ride that Traver was running in Chicago to Rye after the conclusion of the exposition. In his letter of March 7, Traver comments on the costs of the stunts and the building extension that will afford the necessary space for the ride's layout - see park's diagram below. Note the ride's frontage was originally a shooting gallery. The "1001 Troubles" mirror maze to the left also still operates today - as the House Of Mirrors.

About a month later, O'Malley wrote to Jay Downer of the Westchester County Park Commission, detailing the terms and percentages of the proposal and asking that it be submitted for consideration by the commission. The agreement contained an option for the county to purchase the ride at the end of the 1936 season which they decided to exercise.
During the initial three years of the concession operation, it appears that Traver may have augmented the ride with additional equipment that he intended to remove upon his surrender of the ride to the park at end of his lease, provoking a dispute about the ownership of the equipment
for which

O'Malley sought a legal opinion from county attorney William A. Davidson. Whatever the resolution, the park decided at the end of the 1936 season that the ride's tremendous volume of patronage over the past three years required the rehabilitation of the cars. Now they were dealing with Ralph Chambers, Traver's former chief engineer who purchased the assets when Traver's financial misfortunes cost him his business. Chambers provided a quote for the needed wheels, tires, bearings, contact shoes and "seat lifting brackets" to ride superintendant George Baker.
Playland's Laff In The Dark in 1936 during an apparent construction or updating project. The dancing skeletons were animated with a common linkage, gyrating back and forth in eerie formation. Note the upended car at right.
The 1940s saw the fleshing out of the shimmying skeletons with the plywood clowns that were familiar to a generation of Playland visitors. The clowns danced for approximately forty years until they were replaced by demonic scenery in the 1980s which eventually gave way to the current Zombie Castle frontage in the 1990s.