Although the fire of '69 had come to an end, it would not be the last. After the cleanup, the pier was repaired and new rides and concessions were set up in the open space that had been the White Way, although it was never again able to compete successfully with the adjacent Palace Playland amusement complex.

Before this, the last major fire occurred in 1948 and devastated the other side of Old Orchard Street. It was not a new experience for the citizens and business people of Old Orchard. In common with virtually all amusement parks and resorts whose facilities were typically composed of long-standing wooden buildings, fire was no stranger to Old Orchard Beach. The 1948 fire followed other serious blazes occuring in 1907, 1922 and 1942.

On the afternoon of Sunday, October 3, 1948, nearly an entire block of rides was wiped out in the area known as Seashore Park, owned by Dr. Alfred Osher's company and leased to Louis Fox of Boston and David Wolfson. As with the 1969 fire, no one was hurt owing to the resort being closed for the season. But unlike the 1969 fire, this one was fed by strong winds. Fire Chief Theodore Mingo received assistance from Saco, Scarborough, Biddeford and Portland. Lost were the Cyclone coaster, carousel and other rides, several eating places, a roller rink, arcade and the Old Mill, in which the blaze started. Flames leapt across Staples Street and ignited the Palace Ballroom and theater, but these buildings were saved by their sprinkler systems. Many concessions were housed in the block-long Palace Arcade owned by the Usen Amusement Co. and leased to the Osher group. The building would be reconstructed the following year.
The fire was estimated to have caused $250,000 in damage. Although left partially standing at the fire's end, the the Philadelphia Toboggan Company-built Cyclone coaster was beyond repair and would be demolished. It was the last wooden roller coaster ever to stand at Old Orchard Beach.
Fire came again to Old Orchard on December 23, 1972, this time destroying the Palace Playland Pavilion that ran the length of the block from Old Orchard Street to Staples Street.

Above: The 1910 Philadelphia Toboggan Co. carousel stood shuttered in its building and survived.

Below: The huge Palace Playland building is razed, then rebuilt a second time.
Home | Articles | Find Dark Rides | Find Funhouses | Knoebels DVD Waldameer DVD | The Laff Track
Contact LITD | About LITD | The T Shirt Shop | The Laff Achievement Award